Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The Return of Project: No More Sugar.


Before getting on with this post, if you're viewing this in a reader, please click over to my blog! My forever-talked-about, much-needed new redesign is up and I'm obsessed with it. I did it all myself with my very limited design skills (meaning, my MS Paint skills). Hope you like it as much as I do!


We’re smack-dab in the middle of March and I am just starting to tackle my goal of cutting back sugar.

Despite giving up sugar for Lent, I have been cheating left and right (sorry God!). Really, though, giving up sugar cold turkey was never going to happen, so “cutting back on sugar” is my corrected Lenten vow.

For those who’ve been reading for a while, you’ll know I was somewhat successful with weaning myself off of sugar last spring. It was right before Easter and I had promised I would keep the habit up through Easter weekend… but then I was presented with my favorite cookies from my favorite bakery and too many clearance candy temptations at Target.

Here’s a breakdown of what I hope to accomplish in the next few weeks:

  • For the rest of this week (March 14 – 17), I’m doing my best to choose non-sugary, non-processed snacks, but am not limiting myself in any specific fashion.
  • For the week of March 18 – 24, I will only be allowing myself one sugary treat per day after dinner. This will be optional; I’ll attempt to substitute fruit towards the end of the week.
  • For the week of March 25 – 31, I will stop eating sugary snacks. This doesn’t include “hidden” sugars in bread, pasta, tomato sauce, etc.
To help me achieve these goals, I will not be allowing myself to go into our basement for snacks. My mom stockpiles chips and cookies and sugary cereal down there – almost like an extended pantry – so I find it best if I just don’t go down there when I’m hungry.

I hope to maintain this habit into April, particularly up until Natalie’s wedding but also past that. Eventually I want to refine my diet so that I eliminate more processed foods, but for now, the focus is on my snacking.

How are your March goals going?