Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Ten on Tuesday [Vol. 53].

1. What are your designated chores in your home?
Being that I still live at home, I am fortunate to only have a limited number of chores. For the most part, the things I'm responsible for are things that my mom doesn't want to do anymore. This means sweeping and mopping the kitchen and hallway floors, cleaning the shower and bathtub, polishing the kitchen cabinets, and cleaning the microwave. Everything else varies - sometimes my mom does it, sometimes she delegates to me.

2. What is your least favorite chore to do around the house?
Dusting. I'm a cleaning perfectionist, so I never do a "quick" dusting unless it's necessary. This means taking down every single thing off my shelves - dusting each of those things if needed - then dusting the shelf and putting everything back. It's a pain.

3. What was your designated chore growing up?
I never had one. Honestly, I didn't do any chores on a regular basis. Once I was old enough, my mom would ask me to dust or vacuum, but only in preparation of guests. Otherwise, she handled it. I never had to take out the garbage or do the dishes, nor was I ever really forced to make my bed (though I did anyway because I was a neat freak).

4. Did you get paid to do chores or was your allowance connected to you completing your chores?
My allowance had nothing to do with chores, as far as I remember. I was always a generally helpful kid - I thought yard work and cleaning were fun, so if my mom asked me to do something, I did it.

5. If you had a bit of extra money, would you hire a cleaning person or would you save the money for something else?
I don't think I would ever hire a cleaning person unless I was working a super stressful full-time job and the housework, for whatever reason, wasn't getting done. Cleaning is enjoyable to me (pick your jaws up off the floor), so I don't think I would ever find it that annoying or tiresome.

6. What chores will you make your kids do around the house?
I will probably be a control freak and not let them do anything. What if they don't get it fully clean? Yeah, I'm that girl.

7. How frequently do you do laundry? Wash your sheets? Dust?
My laundry gets done when one of the following occurs: I run out of underwear I like, the hamper is full, or there's one or more items of clothing in the hamper I want to wear in the upcoming days. That's usually every other week. I think I wash my sheets once a month or so, though I don't really have a schedule. I definitely don't dust as often as I should for somebody who has white furniture in her room, but let's say every six weeks. Basically, it's whenever I get fed up with the layer of dust I keep encountering.

8. Do you have a designated “chore day” during the week?
Nope. But that's because I live at home and I don't have much of a schedule in general.

9. What is your favorite chore–if such a thing exists?
I love what everyone else (typically) hates: cleaning the toilet and doing the dishes. Washing the bathroom sink skeeves me out more than cleaning the toilet, if you'll believe that. But like I said earlier, I enjoy cleaning and chores. Generally my favorite chores of all are when things are super dirty and you can see a really vast improvement as your cleaning. It makes me feel accomplished.

10. Do you do anything to help pass the time while doing chores (music, TV, etc.)?
Music, always.

These questions are a part of Ten on Tuesday which is run by the wonderful Chelsea of Roots and Rings.