Friday, May 27, 2011

i hate being sick.

Things have been a little quiet around here this week because I've been sick. And no, not just with my stomach (although that's been persistent), but with another viral throat infection as well. I've spent the better part of this week either in bed or moping around the house, trying to be productive while feeling terrible about canceling all of my plans.

It's hard to find the energy to do anything when most of it is sapped from, well, being sick and the rest is spent being upset about it. All of my chores and to-do lists are piling up and I simply don't feel like touching any of them. I haven't even found the motivation to do my Joy Juice journal prompts or blog.

When I get sick, especially with my stomach troubles, I always get caught up in all the things I can't do. I can't go out this week. I can't go out this weekend. I probably can't go out next week. I can't see my friends, go dress shopping during the big sale weekend, or take a last-minute trip down the shore like I wanted. I can't eat what I want because I need to be on a bland diet, even if it doesn't even seem to be helping. And the ultimate can't that is I can't be a good girlfriend/friend/employee in this condition. (Leave it to me to be the most concerned about how this affects everyone else.)

This weekend is going to be spent collecting all of the bits of energy I have and improving my health. That's Step One, and nothing else can come before it. I have to put aside all my concerns for everyone else and fix myself first. There will be meal plans, daily schedules, and strict dietary guidelines. It won't be a fun and crazy Memorial Day Weekend, but it will ensure that I can have fun for the rest of the summer and beyond.

And besides, I can lay out in my backyard and it's almost as good as the beach - and I won't even need to deal with horrendous traffic!

(P.S. - I'm guest posting at my friend Stephany's blog Stephany Writes today while she's on vacation this week! I rarely get asked to guest post, so swing by and say hi!)