Wednesday, December 8, 2010

baked cinnamon apples.

Fun fact: I'm allergic to a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables. As a kid, I never had any problems, but once I hit my teenage years, certain foods would make my mouth and throat irritated and itchy. It was never a life-threatening problem, but just to be safe, I stopped eating things like apples, pears, peaches, celery, and carrots.

Luckily, I can still have most of these things if they have been cooked or preserved in juice (like fruit cocktail from a can). I've been craving apples lately, so I went on a mission to find a good recipe for simple baked apple slices. I didn't have to look far - not long after I bought my apples, I stumbled upon this recipe from Caitlin at Healthy Tipping Point. My first attempt was mucked up by the fact that I didn't add enough brown sugar, but my second attempt was much more successful.


Recipe!


Add three Granny Smith apples.


Slice 'em.


The recipe says to put pats of butter only on the bottom (and to use a pie pan, which I didn't have), but I found it better to toss the apples in melted butter.


Brown sugar, times two.


Cinnamon!


The recipe calls for sprinkling the brown sugar/cinnamon combo on top of the apples, but I tossed them instead.


Fresh out of the oven!

Overall I really liked how they turned out, though I wish I had some vanilla ice cream to put on top. I might add less cinnamon (and potentially more brown sugar) next time because the cinnamon was overpowering and made some of the slices too bitter. (Also, I'm not sure if tossing the apples in the mixture affected how it tasted, but I'm thinking it might have.) Other than that, I think this is the perfect fall/winter dessert - it's simple, healthy, and easy to make!