Wednesday, July 7, 2010

my weekend.

Pardon me for being a little slow on reporting back from my busy weekend, but I think the sun physically moved next door. It’s been about, oh, one hundred degrees around these parts, so I’m a little lethargic. I’ve even taken to wandering around the house in tank tops and my dancer booty shorts and making everyone thoroughly uncomfortable, but only because my body temperature seems to be higher than everyone else’s while my tolerance for such heat is much lower.

Aside from the heat, I had a very awesome Fourth of July weekend. On Friday night, I braved rush hour traffic and spent about an hour with my two best friends before they headed out into the city. We watched some Cash Cab, discussed Harry Potter and half-birthdays, and Nat and I figured out a tattoo we both want to get. I really hope we actually go through with it and will be thrilled if we can get Dani to agree to it, too.

On Saturday I went to a barbecue with Mark’s friends, which wasn’t at all awkward (a concern several of my friends had). They are a lovely group of people who are friendly and laid-back. The host had a beautiful house with an in-ground pool, hot tub, and even a small television out on the back deck. All of that plus a glass of sangria in my hand and I was in heaven.


The whole gang, minus Mark because he's the camera man.


Me, laughing? What a surprise! Not.

We started out watching the end of the World Cup game before taking a brief dip in the pool and hot tub. Most of our afternoon was spent either lounging on the deck or inside watching UFC. I served my triple-berry trifle and everyone loved it, so I was pretty stoked. Unfortunately I had to leave pretty early, before the main event UFC fight (oh darn…), because I was exhausted and busy the next day.


Watching UFC.


All the fighters look super tough and kind of scary.


Proof that Mark was actually there.


My berry trifle, before and after. Completely demolished.

Sunday was my grandmother’s eightieth birthday party, which was really chill. It was the usual suspects from my mom’s side of the family hanging out at my aunt’s place. The highlight of the day was my grandma opening the scrapbook that the family put together for her. And by “the family,” I mean me. My mom and aunt collected some pictures, but I put the whole thing together because apparently, I’m some kind of scrapbooking genius.


Looking at the scrapbook.


The family!


Grandma and Grandpa.


We have a bit of a dessert problem in our family - we always buy (and eat!) too much.

We got home pretty early on Sunday, so I settled in with some leftovers from the party and watched the fireworks on TV. It was a nice, relaxing way to end my super busy weekend.