Tuesday, April 13, 2010

jury duty, updated!

A few weeks ago, I got a piece of mail that sent me into a panic.

Jury duty. Tomorrow.

Under normal circumstances, I would have no problem serving my civic duty. It would probably be cool to actually get picked and sit on a jury. I know it's really not that exciting, but it would be an interesting experience.

However. I'm not dealing with "normal" circumstances. My anxiety is at an all-time high and my stomach is in no condition for me to be sitting around all day in a stressful situation. I know being called for jury duty and even serving is no reason to panic or freak out, but I'm not your typical every day girl, and the most random shit stresses me out.

I've been dreading it for weeks now, half-heartedly trying to go on a stomach-friendly diet the past few days, and crossing my fingers that I'll call the night before and won't even have to go in (which is the process in NJ, not sure if it's the same in other states). The fact that I have to report at 8am makes everything worse because that's my stomach's least favorite time of day to act normal. I'm up at the early (for me) hour of 7am today so that, hopefully, I fall asleep early and can wake up absurdly early so that I have time to feel better before heading out.

My mom has assured me it really won't be as bad as I'm imagining it, that once I get there I'm going to settle in and realize it's just a big time suck. My hope is that (if I call and I do have to go in) I won't even get picked from the masses so I can go home and not have to worry about explaining myself to anyone.

Because I don't even want to think about that.

Anyone want to share their non-exciting jury duty experiences to make me feel better?

UPDATE: So, turns out all that panicking was for nothing. I checked the website and my number is way past the cutoff, which means I don't even have to go in tomorrow! I am so relieved it's not even funny.