Sunday, February 14, 2010

about the boy.

A while back, The Boy and I were talking about my blog and I sort of promised that one day, I would write a blog about him. Not that it's something I need to be forced to do - I have plenty to say - but I'm not good with The Mushy. In person I am, but when I have to write about my feelings, especially for another person? Blahhhvomit.

But, I guess Valentine's Day is a good a time as any to talk about him.

Let's start with some basics. He does, in fact, have a name - Mark - although I rarely call him that (usually he's just 'babe' to me). The first thing anyone would notice about him is that he is ridiculously tall and lanky. I'm 5'7" and have always been known as "the tall one" amongst my friends and dancers, and he makes me look like the short one.


See? He's a giant.

He likes basketball and kayaking, is trying fervently to get into medical school, and has two best friends who are just as tall as him and are also studying to be doctors (I find the coincidences weird, he probably doesn't). He wears glasses for things like driving and even though he hates them, I really like them. He's can be a huge nerd at times and will always make the corniest joke whenever possible.

We first met in junior year at the EMS semi-formal. Mark was a part of EMS and so was my roommate, Danielle, so my other roommate Natalie and I went as her guests. Basically, my only interaction with Mark was being introduced to him - I spent the evening hanging out with my friends. We saw each other again briefly during our school's spring carnival, but again, it wasn't anything personal - we were both with friends and I don't think we talked at all.

Weeks later, in late April, he randomly friended me on Facebook (foreshadowingggg!). I remember being suspicious because it was completely out of the blue. Later that night, Danielle came back from studying with him and his roommates and dropped the bomb on me with the following story.

After she'd left the boys' townhouse, Mark came running after her to talk to her about something. She was worried because he prefaced it with a whole bunch of "I've never done this before" and "I don't know what to say," but then proceeded to ask her if she thought I would be at all interested in hanging out with him. And that's when my jaw dropped through the floor, because seriously, how often does something so adorable ever happen, never mind to me?! Needless to say, my friends and I were giggling like maniacs the entire rest of the night.


The earliest picture I have of us, from June of 2008.

Despite all this loveliness, Mark and I had a rough start. When we first hung out, which was smack-dab in the middle of finals no less, I felt we had absolutely nothing in common. It wasn't until we saw each other over the summer that things started to click. We started officially dating on June 3rd, but hit a really rough patch right after that regarding religion. Once we resolved that issue, though, we had relatively smooth sailing.

The two of us have been through a lot together. I've watched him struggle to get into medical school for two years, he's been there with me during my troubles with IBS. We are both quick to forgive which makes all the arguments we have seem totally worthless. He treats me like a princess in that he pretty much always thinks of me first. He'll go out of his way to do things for me if he knows it's something I'd like. When I'm sick, he takes care of me. When I don't feel like going out because of my stomach, he's content to stay in and eat Chinese food for the hundredth time. When I'm sad, he does every ridiculous thing until I smile and/or laugh.

I am so lucky to have such a wonderful person as my boyfriend. My day isn't complete unless I've talked to him and most nights, we chat over Skype before going to bed. I honestly don't know where I'd be, emotionally and mentally, if it weren't for him.

I love you babe. ♥