Tuesday, September 1, 2009

happy september!

I am so stoked for autumn this year, even though I don't really have any idea why. I sat down to write why I love autumn and basically everything I came up with I already mentioned last year. Interesting. Seriously, I was going to start this post in the same way, with my schpeal about how I never identify autumn as my favorite season despite basically loving it.

So why do I secretly love fall, despite being a spring-and-summer fan at heart?

Well, there's the cool weather. By the time September rolls around, I'm glad to be done with the frustrating heat and humidity. I love opening all the windows in the house and hearing the leaves rustle in the wind.

Hand in hand with that is the leaves changing colors and falling. It's so lovely. First, all the leaves turn wonderful colors and look so pretty against a crisp blue sky. It's so refreshing, especially if I happen to drive down a highway during this time, because then it's different colors as far as the eye can see. Then, the leaves start falling, and while it is a tad depressing to see naked trees, the sound and smell of fallen leaves is amazing. Whether it's listening to them blow down the street or hearing people step on them as they walk by, I love the crunching sound. And the smell? I can't get enough of it. It's especially strong after it rains, even though the sight of wet leaves is less than pleasant. Unfortunately there's a limited time span in which fallen leaves are appealing, because after about two weeks of them blowing all over the place and taking over front lawns, they get to be quite annoying.

One of things I am always most excited for are all the autumn-related flavors. Particularly pumpkin. And I get my pumpkin fix with none other than the Pumpkin Spice Latte from Starbucks.


[picture from Starbucks]

Oh, it's divine. It's rich and creamy and warm and comforting and just wonderful. I'm so torn, though, because on my new diet, I'm supposed to avoid most things with dairy and coffee. Although, it's not like I ever over-indulged. In past years, I only got two or three throughout the season. That should be just fine, I suppose. But another discovery I made last year was Pumpkin Spice Hershey's Kisses. If you've never had them, go find some. Seriously. I made my discovery at Target, so maybe you should start there. They are really good. Trust me.

Even though it's not officially fall yet, the beginning of September seems to make me expect that autumn is just around the bend. Here's hoping it shows up soon.