Saturday, March 14, 2009

relay for life countdown: 20 days!

I've been so busy whimpering about my wisdom teeth and wasting my time shopping that I completely forgot about Relay for Life.

The thing I love about Relay is that it's a whole of fun. My school goes all out, hiring a DJ and planning a ton of great events throughout the twelve hours. Last year I participated (and tied for first!) in the limbo contest, my friends took part in a three-legged race, and they have this crazy contest where they ask for random items and the first person to run up with that item wins. Then, of course, there's all the free food! There's a Wendy's run at midnight and a bunch of other random food give-aways, like s'mores and non-alcoholic frozen drinks. Mmm, nothing like the sugar rush of a margarita at 3am to keep you going.

But before all that can happen, before the tents are set up and the "campsite" deorated, before the luminarias are finished and lit, before we even pack up our pillows and blankets for the naps we never take... we need to raise as much money as possible. As much as the night is a total blast, the main purpose is to raise awareness and funding for the American Cancer Society.

And now comes the part you probably expected, where I hit up my [very limited] readership for money. I'm not asking for much, because I'm a broke college student myself and I know what it's like to pinch pennies. I was only able to spend the $10 to register, because I can't afford anything more than that. So what am I asking for? If you can spare $5 or even $10, please do. If you can't, that's fine too - I don't want to guilt-trip and alienate my readers (because I love you!). But if you can afford it, it would mean so, so much to me.

You can click here to visit my page and donate.

No comments: