Thursday, April 10, 2008

new and old

Yesterday I experienced another one of my late-blooming firsts in life - I went clubbing. Okay, so I didn't technically go clubbing. I went to a club to see a bunch of awesome dance performances. But it still counts, okay? Because I still got the full club experience of getting carded, buying really expensive alcohol, and getting asked to dance by a creeper.

We spent an hour driving through the city, where we were supposed to be finding a club called Hiro, which was located on 16th Street between 8th and 9th. And yet somehow, we ended up passing by Ground Zero. (Note: I am completely unaware of the geography of NYC, but when I told my roommates this, they were like, "wow, you guys were really off track.") Luckily, because my studio director had reserved a table, we were able to get in without waiting in line and we got an awesome little place to sit on the second floor of the club.


Our view.


Ashley and myself.

I was so glad to actually have someplace to sit, because I made the mistake of wearing really uncomfortable shoes and would've died had I had to stand on the floor. I didn't dance much, except towards the end when they kicked us out of our table area. But I had a blast. Watching my studio director and our friends get buzzed was entertainment enough for me, especially with the drive home and stopping at the diner at 4:30am.


Chris being his typical self at the diner. I'm not capable of repeating the conversation that brought on this picture.

**

It seems that the way I'll be able to stop biting my nails is if I'm constantly distracted. And I mean constantly. Because it took the past two days of back-to-back activities for them to grow. I just sat down at the computer an hour ago and noticed that they had grown out a little bit. Of course, as soon I realize they're growing.. the urge to bite them is even stronger. I've already chewed off a few of them. Here's hoping for more willpower so that they can finally grow out completely.

**

I just spent a half hour freaking out because of my recurring addiction to the television show So You Think You Can Dance? (SYTYCD?). A quick summary of my serious, serious issues regarding this show goes something like this - I watched the second season, got really attached to two dancers that were partnered (whom I also believed WAS COMPLETELY CONVINCED were dating and destined to marry), saw their tour twice (including a secret trip to Connecticut), continued to thoroughly obsess over them, and made a point of going to every event they were at whenever possible. Which included trips to Long Island and Pennsylvania, where I spent my time developing relationships with people I had only known online. Yeah, I had issues.

Finally though, I got over a lot of it, mainly because it was consuming my life and also, I realized I was acting a little crazy. But. I still have an attachment to that pair of dancers, specifically the girl, Donyelle Jones. Because she's the fiercest dancer I've ever seen.

ANYWAY. Tonight was Idol Gives Back, which I totally forgot started at 7:30pm. I meant to watch because a rumor had it that a few dancers from all three seasons of SYTYCD? were slated to be making appearances. Had I not forgotten, my ass would've been glued to my chair from the moment the show started. However. It turned out that their main performance was the opening act, and I had only realized it was tonight at 8:30pm. Craptastic. But then! I found a crappy YouTube conversion of the routine, I realized that HOLY SHIITAKE MUSHROOMS, Donyelle was in there somewhere. I knew a handful of the dancers would be there, but there were waaaaay more than I expected. So what did I do? Bought the performance on iTunes. And watched it about five times now

..maybe the obsession isn't completely gone yet. A-heh.

No comments: