Sunday, January 13, 2008

Understanding

It's strange how you can find it hard to understand someone's situation until you experience it, in one way or another, yourself.

A few months ago, a friend of mine was going through a difficult time where she spent her free time dwelling on a "lost cause" situation. She told me she was upset on a daily basis, and often cried herself to sleep. She craved dance. I comforted her and tried my hardest to cheer her up, and eventually, she got over it. Although, I never did hear how it was resolved.

Right now I'm dealing with a similar situation that is definitely to a lesser degree than hers. Suddenly, I understand exactly how she felt - why she cried, why she hid herself away, why she wanted nothing more than to dance. As a dancer, when something happens to you that affects your emotions in any way, you want to dance. Especially if you're upset, or hurt.

All I want right now is a dance floor. The crying is always short-lived and not a constant, recurring event. It happens when I think too much about, well, anything regarding the situation. But the urge to dance never goes away. It may be to let out my anger or my pain, to use music and my movements to dance to an imaginary audience of one, wishing they were really there to see what they have caused. Or maybe, it's just to dance in solitude, to let my body cleanse itself of all the pain and try to heal.

...
That was a lot more serious than I intended it to be. But it is what it is.

C'est la vie.

No comments: