Monday, November 4, 2013

Scary.

There were a lot of topics I considered writing about tonight, but now there's a shooter at the Garden State Plaza and all I can do is feel sick to my stomach.

Nothing is safe anymore. Not that anything ever was truly safe, I understand that. Hell, there were isolated incidents at my local malls where girls were followed or some people had their arms slashed by creepy people hanging out in the restroom hallways. I get it, the world is unsafe. But this is too much.

The Garden State Plaza mall is terrifyingly huge when you're adding an armed man to the mix. He could be anywhere and there are thousands of customers and employees stuck inside. It is absolutely frightening and is making me seriously reconsider my idea of working a seasonal retail job.

The fact that simple decisions – like deciding to take a job at the mall – are being challenged by the thought, well what if there's a mass shooting, is downright scary. That's the only word for it.

I don't have a lot more to say because I'm not well-educated enough to make a solid argument. All I know is we have to do something differently. We have to find a way to make it harder to buy guns and ammunition and we have to figure out a new system to deal with the mental health of our citizens. We have to fix this.


NaBloPoMo November 2013