Monday, March 25, 2013

30 Before 30: Update 1.

When I got hired last April, it turned my world upside down. For three years post-college, I only worked part-time and had become accustomed to a very flexible schedule and a lot of free time. Once I started on the 9-to-5(:30) grind, I had little time and energy left to focus on anything other than work. All of the goals and habits that were in progress dropped off of my radar completely because I was exhausted by my new schedule.

Now that I've been working for almost a year (crazy!), I've settled into my new normal and am finally ready to get back to working on some goals and habits. To tie it in with my return to blogging, I figured I would take a peek at my 30 Before 30 list and see if I'd made any accidental progress. Turns out I did a handful of things without even trying!

Completed Goals

13. Get a job. This one's pretty obvious, so I won't bother explaining.

18. Go see the Radio City Christmas show. I can't say Erik thought of this completely on his own - I told him it was unofficially on my Christmas list - but he was the one who suggested going together and bought the tickets, so he gets the credit for it anyway. Needless to say, I absolutely LOVED it. I teared up when they first came out, geeked out over the full-on tap routine, and squealed with delight when they did the marching soldier routine. I'm 99% sure Erik slept through half of it, but I was in heaven, and we had a really great night in the city just days before Christmas.

29. Buy a smartphone. As soon as I got my job and saved up enough money, my first big purchase was my iPhone. I honestly can't imagine living without it, especially since I'm not really allowed online at my job except for work-related things.

In-Progress Goals

3. Travel by plane. As I've mentioned, the only convenient way for me to get to Vegas for Bloggers in Sin City is by plane, so this will be happening in May.

22. Attend BiSC at least once! My ticket is purchased and I'm cleared for vacation time, so it's pretty much a done deal. Won't cross it off officially until I've hugged dozens of bloggers, though!

Classic Movie Sub-List

I have a list of thirty-seven classic movies, thanks to the help of Erik, friends, and my lovely readers when I asked for suggestions. It's an arbitrary number; initially I said twenty, but the list just happened to come out to thirty-seven. The only one I've watched so far is Edward Scissorhands, and I missed a chunk in the middle because I was at Erik's and we were getting ready to go somewhere while it was on. Obviously I'm not making the best progress here, but I'm going to put a little more effort into watching more of these.

-

There's still a lot of progress to be made on this list, but I think I'm doing pretty well considering I didn't put any effort at all into my accomplishments so far. Stay tuned for the return on monthly goals next week for the beginning of April!