Saturday, April 21, 2012

Today. {Vol. II}

Just over five years ago, when I was a sophomore in college, I met my very best friend. I don't like putting labels on my friendships or calling one better than the other, and I'm lucky enough to have four "best" friends, but there's one person who tops the list.

My friend circle had just taken a hit in the fall semester. Living arrangements had brought out the worst in somebody, so our group of four was brought down to three. That person moved out, leaving an opportunity for someone else to move in across the hall with my friend Katie. She and I, along with my roommate at the time, Melissa, wondered nervously what kind of girl would move in. Would she be a party girl who went out every weekend, something very foreign to us at the time? Or would she be like us, dorky and silly and willing to spend nights in, discussing music or watching chick flicks?

In January 2007, we found out: dorky and silly, thank God. Natalie pretty much bounded into our lives because that's exactly how she enters your life. She's friendly and outgoing, drumming up conversation by asking you lots of questions about your life that she's genuinely interested in knowing the answers to. Soon we were all having meals and watching TV shows together, surviving a flood in our dorm, and in the spring, making plans to move in together. (Which, in case you're curious, is when we met Danielle.)

Over the next year, my friendship with Natalie (and Danielle) took on its own dynamic. We became this trio - the Lady Lumps - and suddenly I found myself surrounded by a best-friendship that I had longed for since middle school. They became my closest friends and confidants.

All of this is to say that today, Natalie gets married, and I can barely get through this post without tearing up. She met her fiance in high school and when I tell you he's the kindest, gentlest, most thoughtful guy I know, I'm not exaggerating. They complement each other so well and their love is the kind I hope to find one day.

Natalie's stuck with me through some really tough times, particularly when I was putting our friendship on the back burner in lieu of spending time with my now-ex-boyfriend. She is my biggest cheerleader and someone who points out the positive when I can't. She makes any situation fun and any conversation interesting. She's ridiculously caring and giving - she offered Danielle her bed last night, before her own wedding, saying she'd sleep on the floor. She's the reason I met Erik. I'm so very blessed to have someone so amazing in my life.

Today my best friend gets married. It feels like this day has been forever in the making, but that doesn't mean it's any less exciting now that it's finally here. I plan to cry my face off and dance my heart out, with lots of laughter mixed in. It's going to be a fabulous day.