Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Ten on Tuesday [Vol. 51].

 {}

1. How do you feel about Valentine’s Day?
I adore it, and that's coming from someone who was single for 21 years. There was never any bitterness - I made it about my friendships and a little about myself (meaning, I bought a box of chocolates for myself on occasion). I'll be honest though, it is a tiny bit better when you're celebrating a relationship instead.

2. Are you in love?
Absolutely. It's the first time I've been in super-ooey-gooey-mushy love; I try not to show it too much because I know it grosses some people out.

3. What is your favorite love song?
Just the Way You Are by Billy Joel, which is actually one of my favorite songs in general.

4. Did your parents do anything for you on Valentine’s Day when you were a child?
Yes! My brother and I each got a few different kinds of Valentine's candy every year. Actually, we got candy for most holidays... which is likely why I love it so much.

5. What is your love language? (Click here if you want to take the quiz.)
Surprisingly, physical touch was my primary love language. I expected receiving gifts, which was only one point behind the first one, or words of affirmation. Why? Because those are the two things I crave most out of my relationships. Not in a greedy way, of course. But I think because those are the ways I express love, those are the ways I want to receive love.

An interesting thing I noticed is that these are all the things I feel I lacked from my relationship with my parents. The one I scored lowest on, with one point - acts of service - is the one major thing I always got from my parents. They showed their love through making sacrifices for me; sadly, as evinced by the results, that really doesn't cut it for me, so I never appreciate it as much as I should.

6. How do you celebrate Valentine’s Day? Gifts? Dinner?
I talked about this yesterday, but my 'tradition' with Erik is to cook and eat dinner together. We also exchange gifts.

7. What is your favorite flower?
There isn't one in particular I love above all others. A few of my favorites are roses, lilies, tulips, and daisies.

8. What is your favorite love story? (Book and/or movie.)
Pride and Prejudice! And Forrest Gump.

9. What is the most romantic thing someone has ever done for you? Or you have done for someone?
In junior year of college, a kid I knew from my accounting classes left a single rose anonymously for every girl in our townhouse complex. Apparently he did the same thing the prior year for all the girls in his dorm. It wasn't something done specifically just for me, but it was adorably sweet.

As for real romance, not a lot of things come to mind because I'm thinking of stereotypical romantic gestures - candlelit dinners, fancy restaurant dates, unexpected gifts, something handmade/written from the heart - and I haven't really experienced those things. Last year, for the first time, I had flowers delivered to my house from Erik, so that was pretty romantic.

10. How did you meet your spouse/significant other?
I met Erik years ago, back in the fall of 2007, and at that point he was still just Natalie's brother to me. He came to visit when Natalie, Danielle, Melissa and I lived in a townhouse together, and I was in the shower when he arrived. Since Nat's room was right next to the shower, we were introduced as I soon as I stepped out... wearing only my towel. He claims he doesn't remember it at all. The funny part is that, after the visit, he told Nat that she had hot roommates, referencing me in particular. Foreshadowinggg!

These questions are a part of Ten on Tuesday which is run by the wonderful Chelsea of Roots and Rings.

Happy Valentine's Day!