Tuesday, February 21, 2012

BFF Wedding #2: Bridal Shower.

There's something that happened last Saturday that I've been dying to write about for weeks, but I couldn’t – Natalie’s surprise bridal shower! It was killing me because I wanted to post about details, drama, and the fact that I got to make adorable cake pops, but she reads this (so say hi to her!) and I wasn't about to spoil it.

We’d decided on a luncheon at the local firehouse. I drove up the night before so I could sleep over at Erik and Nat’s house and have a 5-minute drive in the morning instead of a 1.5-hour one. Since a few of us had set the room up and decorated on Friday night, we didn’t have to get there too early on Saturday. Still, I was up at 9am – before Erik for once! – so that I’d have time to wake up and get ready.


Of course, despite being up two hours ahead of time, I was still running late. When I finally got there, things were pretty calm – we put the food out, hung pictures, and organized the prizes for the games. Soon enough guests were arriving and we were buzzing with excitement.

The college crew! Me, Melissa, and Danielle.

Thanks to the amazing work of Natalie’s fiancé, the plan to get her there without suspicion worked perfectly. He even thought to distract her with his phone as they drove up so she wouldn’t see the crowded parking lot. She was absolutely shocked when she walked in.

Clockwise from top left: Nat's entrance; Nat with her mom and grandmother; Nat on her throne; the bridal party.

The shower went off without a hitch. We snapped a bunch of pictures, enjoyed a really yummy lunch, and did some major damage to the dessert table. I made cake pops, which were a hit, but the star of the show was the groom’s mother’s homemade layer cake. She’s such a great baker! ...but, since this is my blog, so I'm going to show off my purple-dipped cake pops and matching purple-sprinkled snickerdoodles.


There were lots of great gifts and, not to brag, but we were one super-organized bridal party when it came to helping Nat – we had one girl for every task, from opening the card to throwing out the trash. I had been unofficially assigned as photographer because Nat’s dad, who loves taking pictures, put me in charge of his camera for the day.

Seriously in love with these girls.

After that, we played a few games. There was the bubble gum game, where Nat had to answer questions that her fiancé answered the night before; for every wrong answer, she added a piece of gum to her mouth. (Thank goodness she only got four wrong.) Then we had the mothers and grandmothers of the bride and groom as the models for the toilet paper wedding dress game, which was hilarious. I helped Nat's mom make her dress… it ended up as kind of a disaster, so she called herself the Lady Gaga bride.

Overall, it was a fabulous day. Nat was surprised and enjoyed herself, which is all we could really ask for. I seriously can't believe that my love is getting married soon! I wonder if it's still okay to get butt pinches from a married woman...