Thursday, January 5, 2012

One Year.



 {March 2011; at Cortney's birthday party}

 One year ago today, I took a huge leap and jumped when I didn’t see any safety net beneath me.

Erik and I had only been on four ‘dates,’ one of which included a very memorable New Year’s Eve. Up until that point, I hadn’t fully figured out how I felt. I was letting myself go with the flow, not really concerned with having all the pieces put together. In the back of my mind, though, I was aware that things were moving super fast.

So when he asked me to be his girlfriend, I was surprised. But it took only a moment before I said ‘yes.’ It truly was the boldest – and by far the best – decision I made in 2011. And while I worry that sometimes I exaggerate, I feel that my life would be starkly different without him in it. I’ve become a better version of myself, some of which would’ve happened anyway, but having him by my side has only fueled my momentum.

I’ll share something I haven’t shared with too many people: this is my first time being really-and-truly in love. Looking back, I didn’t feel this way in my last relationship; I couldn’t tell you what I felt then, but I know it wasn’t this. This is love. This is the thing you can’t describe, the feeling you stop questioning because you just know. It makes me so blissfully happy at times that I hope it never stops.

So here’s to another wonderful year with my best friend, the person who makes me smile even when I don't want to, always makes me laugh (even when he's not funny), and treats me like a princess.

Love you always, babe.

{October 2011; Erik's birthday party}