Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Birthday Confessions.

My birthday is still four days away, but as you'll find out in my confessions, today is the middle of my birthday week! In the spirit of that, I decided to share some birthday confessions.
  • I treat the whole week as my "birthday week." As soon as the excitement of New Year's dies down - usually on January 2nd - I launch into birthday mode. It's not really something I advertise; mostly, it's me celebrating myself. Sometimes it means dressing up for work (I never do and I like dressing up), stopping at Starbucks for a latte, or taking myself shopping for something small. Or sometimes it's just as simple as wearing my pink 'birthday princess' tiara around the house all week.
  • I love getting gifts! Christmas, for me, is honestly more about the excitement of giving gifts. Yes, I enjoy receiving my Christmas gifts, but I'm usually focusing on the reaction of other people opening my gifts. For my birthday, it's all about me, and I can't lie when I say I really revel in it.
  • Checking the mail becomes my hobby for the week. Our mail comes between 1 and 3pm, so during those hours, I keep peeking out the window to see if I can spot the mailman.
  • For the third year in a row, I'm throwing myself a birthday party. It's always really great because all of my friends come over and it's like a big catch-up session between everyone. Plus, I love having everyone who's important to me in the same room. I look forward to it all year.
  • This year I wanted to do something special for my 25th birthday, but I dropped the ball. My friend Ashley went to Disney World for hers, and while I wouldn't do something that big, I wanted to maybe go to the Poconos, Medieval Times, or even just the local club-like bar to go dancing. I ended up getting busy and the logistics were too much to work out, so it's back to my basic birthday party.
  • Facebook birthday greetings make me so happy. I know some people think they're impersonal because random people you don't talk to comment on your page and most people wouldn't remember if not for Facebook, but I can't help smiling at all the notifications popping up all day long.