Tuesday, June 7, 2011

ten on tuesday [vol. 30].



1. What type of phone do you have? Do you like it?

I always forget the name off the bat, but then it comes to me. It's an LG Cosmos. It's pretty good. I don't have/want a data plan because I can't afford it and don't really need it, so the coolest thing about it is that it's my first phone with a QWERTY keyboard. I've become a texting fiend.

2. How old were you when you got your first cell phone?
Sixteen, I think. It was definitely in my sophomore year of high school, so sixteen sounds about right.

3. How many cell phones have you owned since your first?
Hm... counting the first and the one I have now, I've had five or six. I can't remember if there was one in between my first and the one I was using at the beginning of college. I feel like I had two phones on my original carrier (Virgin Mobile) before I went on my parents' family plan, at which point I've had four different ones, but I can't be sure.

4. How much is your average monthly phone bill?
Is it sad that I have no idea? My parents are gracious enough to pay for my phone plan, since we have a family plan, so I don't encounter the bill at all.

5. When you were a kid/teenager, were you allowed to have a phone in your room?
I had a phone in my room once I hit my teenage years, but to be honest, I didn't use it much. I wasn't your typical teenage girl who spent hours tying up the line chatting about high school drama. It was there mostly so I could easily take a call in private if necessary or to answer the phone when nobody else was home without having to run to another room.

6. Do you like talking on the phone or do you despise it? Or somewhere in-between?
Mostly, I find it really awkward because I'm terrible at phone conversation flow and I get really self-conscious about it. Exceptions are made for friends and family, especially now that I see my friends less often, but I still feel I communicate better via e-mail. Formal phone calls (like making a doctor's appointment or ordering food) are the worst and I avoid them like the plague.

7. Do you text a lot? Is texting/talking while driving illegal where you live? Are you guilty of it anyway?
My texting frequency is pretty middle of the pack. I do text every day (usually just with E), but not constantly. I feel like I'm in the age group that just missed the cutoff for obsessive texting - my 20-year-old cousin would gladly have her phone surgically attached to her and my 22-year-old boyfriend would likely have actual withdrawal symptoms without his.

Texting and talking are both illegal here, as far as I know. I know talking is, I just assume texting is too. If I have to talk on the phone, I put it on speaker. I am, however, guilty of texting while driving. In my defense, I'm a pretty good driver in general, never look down for more than a second or two, and try to limit it to texting at stop lights.

8. What sort of texting keyboard does your phone have? Touch screen, slide out, or something different? Do you care?
I have a slide-out QWERTY keyboard for the first time ever and I'm in love with it. It's also my first phone that has real T9 texting (my old phones had some other knock-off that sucked). I like both methods and have become pretty efficient in both, but I think I prefer the QWERTY just a little bit more.

9. Look at the last call in your call log – who is it? What were they calling about? Who calls you the most?
It's from Mark. He was calling to let me know he was home so I could head over to his house to set up for his going away party. I don't get many calls because everyone knows I hate it, but the person I talk to most on the phone is Natalie.

10. What is the longest phone call you can recall having?
Some of the ones logged between Mark and I while we were dating were pretty long, sometimes reaching several hours. Before that, the longest was probably way back in high school when I was visiting my grandparents one summer and didn't have internet access - I called my best friend at the time and stayed on the line for hours.

These questions are a part of Ten on Tuesday which is run by the wonderful Chelsea of Roots and Rings.