Monday, October 25, 2010

ready for halloween.

This weekend was dedicated to preparing for Halloween. I shopped for my costume, perused the seasonal section of Target for some goodies, and put together the candy bags for trick-or-treaters. It was an all-around productive weekend.

I finally took a pick-and-stick attitude about what I wanted to be and went on a search for all things Katy Perry. Because it was difficult to replicate the looks from ‘California Gurls’ without spending a lot of cash, I made the decision to find a wig and a Katy-esque outfit. Considering I don’t have any plans and will just be answering the door, I figured it wasn’t worth going overboard.

The hardest piece to find was the wig. I wanted to go for what Katy’s most well-known for, which is blue hair. After searching the pop-up Halloween store and finding nothing, I ended up at Party City but still couldn’t find blue. I was stuck between purple and pink. Purple probably would’ve been a better choice in terms of authenticity – I don’t think I’ve really seen Katy with pink hair – but I went with pink anyway. I had already found an absolutely ridiculous pink-accented leopard-print top at the mall (on the clearance rack, shocker) and besides, I outfit myself in pink whenever possible, why should Halloween be any different?

On Saturday I got to work on the Halloween hand-outs. With the exception of the past four years when I was at college, we always put together and hand out small bags of candy. I decided to bring it back this year because, I mean, who wouldn’t want multiple pieces of candy from one house? I remember getting the little bags and thinking JACKPOT.


So much candy, om nom nom.


Finished products!

Plus, this way, we have lots of variety in our leftovers and we can start eating them as soon as the bags are done, instead of waiting for Halloween to be over. It’s a win-win, really.

Even though I’ll just be settling in for a quiet Halloween weekend, I’m still really excited. Dressing up is one of my absolute favorite things to do and, for some reason, I just love handing out candy.

What are your plans for Halloween? What are you dressing up as?