Thursday, August 19, 2010

august activities.

I realize that I don’t talk nearly enough about what I do on a day-to-day basis. Of course, the main reason for that is because for a while, I was sleeping on a day-to-day basis and not doing anything of interest. Still, my blog posts are usually either themed (between Fashion Fridays and Ten on Tuesdays) or are about big bad topics that are brewing in my head, which I feel gets a little impersonal. So here’s a look at what I’ve been up to.

Cat-Sitting

I’ve been taking care of Lyndsay’s family cat while her and her family are on vacation in Florida (which included a trip to Harry Potter World, jealousies). This job has been mine for a few years now – they usually take a family vacation at the end of the summer – and I absolutely love it. It’s a ten-minute drive, I have the house to myself, and I get to see this adorable face when I get there:



Meet Houdini, or Dini for short. He’s usually pretty skittish, but I somehow won his heart over. He’s always waiting for me when I walk in the door because I come in through the garage, so he knows someone’s home long before the door actually opens. He clings to me – one time even lunging at my legs because I walked away too fast – and doesn’t let up until I put out his food. Because food > human contact, apparently.

Let the Music Play

When I sat down to write this, I had about a billion music-related things I wanted to talk about. First and foremost, I saw Step Up 3D last week and before you say anything, yes, it was an awful, terribly-scripted movie. Also, I question the choice to make it 3D. The dancing, however, was phenomenal. And the music is awesome. I’ve had a handful of the songs from the soundtrack on repeat for two weeks now and I’m still not tired of them. There have been lots and lots of random dance parties going on over here (especially to this song).

The big, exciting thing is that there’s a free concert being held at a park that’s within walking distance of my house, and they recently revealed that the big-ticket bands performing will be Train and OK Go. I nearly peed my pants because, I mean, what?! Those groups? Performing? For FREE? BY MY HOUSE?! It’s pretty amazing. Any and all of my local friends are welcome to join me because I will definitely be there.

And finally, this song? Makes me swoon. Any boy who wants to win me over need only reference this song in any fashion, and I’m yours. (What? I'm easy. TWSS.)



Wedding

On Sunday, my parents and aunt attended my second cousin's wedding. At first we assumed the kids were invited and I was pretty disappointed to find out that just the adults were going. But, I didn’t let that stop me from obsessing over every detail.

The best part, though, wasn’t in the details but a certain moment during the reception. My great uncle – the groom’s grandfather – was recently diagnosed with terminal cancer. He’s since lost a little bit of his sharpness and a lot of weight, and my parents said he was kind of out of it for the ceremony.

When the reception rolled around, after all the ceremonial dances had been danced, the family noticed that he was still standing, tapping his cane to the music. He eventually made his way to the corner of the dance floor and spent a good five or ten minutes grooving to the music. It even prompted my aunt, who can bust a move but hasn’t danced at any family gathering in a long time, to join him. Even though he’s not close family to me, it was such a beautiful moment and it brought tears to my eyes.




{with his grandson, the groom, to the left}


{with my aunt}