Friday, May 28, 2010

fashion friday: month one of six months, six dresses.



I am totally a dress and skirt person. Part of it is because I got used to it in high school (we had a uniform and had to wear skirts every. single. day.), but I’ve always thought they were pretty and festive. Once I got to college and got my regular-clothes-wearing-person groove back – which probably didn’t happen until sophomore year – I made dresses part of my everyday wardrobe.

After graduating, I stopped wearing them for a while because I was sick and not going out much. Obviously whenever I was attending a party or something special, I took the opportunity to pull them out of my closet. But even that was rare. I had resigned to a lazy-day uniform – Soffe shorts and tank tops in the summer, pajama pants and long sleeves in the winter. So, recently, I decided that even if I was only going out to work for the day or sitting around, I was going to wear more of my “nice” clothes.

My first dress in this series is one that actually precedes the little bit above because I got it for my college graduation party last May. I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it. Forever 21 had become a new obsession of mine and as I was browsing, I found it. I knew instantly I wanted it and that I did happen to need one for my upcoming graduation bash, so I bought it.


It was perfect. Lightweight and loose, even the belt around my midsection didn’t bother me. Originally I planned on wearing heels with it, but it’s quite short and looked a bit distasteful with anything except flip flops. But other than that? I loved it and was thrilled to wear it to my graduation party.




Since then, I’ve worn it year-round – because it’s short, it looks good with jeans or leggings, and it didn’t look half bad with a long-sleeved shirt underneath. It can be dressy or casual, and I absolutely love clothes that are multipurpose. It’s held up pretty well and I’m hoping to keep wearing it until it’s completely destroyed.

{This post is part of a series called Six Months, Six Dresses dreamed up by the ever-lovely and inspiring Kyla Roma. I'm actually straying a bit from her idea by including dresses I already own and starting in May instead of April. If you wanna get in on the fun, click the banner above and join us!}