Friday, November 6, 2009

why my family calls me their little martha stewart.


My lovely little desk where I am clearly multitasking like crazy.

I've been crafting up a storm the past few weeks. First I made a lovely autumn banner for my cousin's dorm room. Using some pretty scrapbook paper, I cut circles out of patterned paper and some heavier card stock and glued them together.



I debated about the lettering - I was just going to print the letters out in a pretty font, but quickly realized that would mean a lot of intricate cutting. And although I am the Queen of Cutting Things Out, that would probably prove to be too tedious, even for me. So, I practiced a bit, told the perfectionist in me that it would all be okay, and hand-drew the letters.



The 't' didn't come out all that swell, but I think the rest make up for it. I forgot to take a picture of the finished product before I sent it out, but I punched holes in the top of each card and strung them with some sheer maroon ribbon.

My second project was to make customized binder clips as place card holders for Thanksgiving. These were pretty simple, as I just cut out scrapbook paper the size of the binder clip and glued it on. Still, I was thrilled with the end product.






All this crafting has planted the seed in my head about opening an Etsy shop, but I have no idea if I have the time and dedication to give to such a project. Although, since I'm pretty much in limbo with my job search because I've been sick, it wouldn't be such a bad idea to get it started while I'm trying to get better. It would at the very least give me a reason to get out of bed at a decent hour if I spent a good chunk of my time crafting.

Still, I'm worried about getting in over my head. I guess we'll see. Any thoughts, especially from those who have an Etsy shop, are welcomed and appreciated.