Monday, October 26, 2009

world series, here we come.

I am by no means a full-fledged sports fan. While I generally understand how baseball and football work (the only two sports I like to watch), the intricacies are completely lost on me. I don't necessarily follow a certain team to the extent where I watch their first game of the season to their last. If you asked me somebody's stats or how they compare to other players, I wouldn't have an answer for you.

Basically, I'm your stereotypical girl watching sports. I'm not as bad as those people who confuse terms for each sport, but I'm close.

All that being said, I have a soft spot in my heart for local teams, specifically the Giants and the Yankees. There's absolutely no basis for my loyalty. It's not family tradition. It's simply the fact that they're from New York. I'm not really sure if that makes me lame or not.

When the Giants went to the Superbowl two years ago, I was beyond thrilled. Why? No real reason. I hadn't watched the season at all, I was just excited to see them in the Superbowl. Being a member of my Residence Hall Association (RHA shout-out!), we threw a huge party in the freshmen dorm main lounge, putting up two large projector screens to show the game and offering free pizza and hot wings. Needless to say, we had a large attendance, because what college student doesn't love free food!?

I spent the morning putting my look together, debating between jeans and leggings to go with my bright blue shirt from Kohls that I'd purchased (on clearance!) just for the game. I put curling ribbon - red and blue, of course - in my pulled-back hair.


I forgot to mention the blue EARRINGS, too. I go all-out, people.

I watched that game with so much excitement, feeding off of the energy of my friends who were all rooting for the Giants as well. It was just too much fun not to. Had I gone to that party and not cared who won, I would've been bored to tears. And I will say that since then, I've followed the Giants just a little more, making an effort to catch some of their games on TV.

But back to the main reason I'm posting in the first place - the Yankees won the ALCS and are heading to the World Series! After the game last night, I may or may not have jumped up and down on my bed, done a happy dance, then pumped music too loudly in celebration. Despite having paid little attention to them during the majority of the season, I started watching the ALCS games, knowing that they were a step away from the World Series. It was so fun being a part of the excitement as friend after friend posted Yankees-based Facebook statuses.

Now that they've made it, my adrenaline is running so high. I'm TOTALLY STOKED for the World Series, even more so considering it's Phillies versus Yankees (which, on a side note, is also totally scary considering that New Jersey is filled with die-hard fans of either team who would hate for the other team to win. Gulp). Let's go New York!