Monday, July 20, 2009

MCATs and new recipes.

Oh, Monday. This past week went by way too fast. I had off from work since my boss was on vacation (I work part-time out of her house) and it was bliss. Unfortunately, I'm still working out health problems, so I couldn't book every minute of my time to hang out. Mostly I just bummed around, actually. And visited The Boy.

Twice this past week I took the hour drive down to his house to help him study for MCAT (Medical College Admission Test). Now, I know what you're thinking, and you're right - I'm not doctor material and would never consider being a doctor. Plus, I'm pretty sure my hardcore fear of vomiting rules me out immediately.

However, on this Super Scary Medschool Exam there is a verbal section. That's where I come in. I can't really say I'm a pro (I scored a zero on one set of questions), but I'm pretty good. Good enough to offer some advice and a different perspective, anyway. So I've spent two whole days reading MCAT practice passages, and if you remember the SATs or have taken another standardized test recently, these passages are crazy and cover the strangest of topics. We did one about Typhoid Mary, another about how to improve your speaking, and yet another about the bible. Well, at least they're interesting.

We're making a fair amount of progress. Test day is July 30, so there's still a solid week left. I forsee another trip or two down to his house before that. I swear, his parents must think I'm crazy since I drive all the way down there just to help him study. My parents must think the same, actually. I guess I don't see it as a problem because I don't mind driving - I like blasting my music and getting some time to myself.

Other than that, I spent this weekend trying out some new recipes. My full-blown health kick lead me to making a yummy sandwich with turkey, provalone, black olives and lettuce, a blueberry smoothie, and an attempt at making my own tortilla chips.

The tortilla chips were a big, fat FAIL. But at least I know why! I think the oven was set too high, and also, I stupidly placed one of the trays on the lowest rack closest to the flame. So, of course, the bottoms crisped up before the tops did, resulting in them being burnt on the bottom but still soft on top. But it doesn't stop there, oh no. I still had the other tray that was successful so far. I turned my back to pour myself a glass of water and grab something else from the fridge, turned around to check on them, and they were already dark, dark brown. I was so, so frustrated because if I had just kept my eyes on them, they probably would've been really good.

Oh well. At least the sandwich and smoothie came out really well. Gotta take the bad with the good.

No comments: