Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Thoughts on Moving Out: An Update.


Moving out didn't change me the way I expected it would. Just like getting a job didn't change me.

Let's back up.

I moved out of my parents' home in April and have been living in a lovely little apartment with Erik since then. Like many people feel regarding a big change, I had grand ideas of how different life would feel away from my parents. I can't fully explain what I mean. It's not like I expected to become a different person, but I thought it would feel more like a "new" life than it has.

In reality, it feels exactly like what it is: a change in scenery.

Settling into a new place has proven to be more logistically difficult than I expected. There are still plenty of boxes and things at my parents' house (because they are wonderful and don't mind storing stuff in my abandoned closet). There are several unorganized shelves in our living area. The overwhelming parade of decisions has exhausted me. I simply stopped caring where we put things or what decor we want to put on the walls because I can't stand to make another decision, especially ones that offer so many choices.

All of that being said, I am so in love with it. I am in love with seeing my boyfriend each and every day, falling asleep next to him every night, and having my own space to tend to. I don't need to store all of my stuff in a single bedroom - I can now spread my things around an entire apartment. Like putting my jackets in the front hall closet instead of taking up space in my regular one! Even tedious tasks, like grocery shopping and cleaning, are a joy to me. Those are things I've always enjoyed and have continued to enjoy even now that I'm required to do them.

It feels like no time has passed between moving in and where I am now, though I know spring and summer have both gone by. Summer felt pleasantly long, so there is no sadness as fall comes along with its cooler weather and pumpkin-flavored treats (and yes, I'm buying all of them). But as the final quarter of the year comes into view, I'm ready to focus on myself and truly improving my life, as I promised I would when I was living on my own. It's time.