Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Hotel staycation.

Over the weekend, Erik and I celebrated our anniversary by staying at a local hotel. Sounds a little strange, yes, but it was actually the best thing ever.

The past few weeks at work have been rough - I've been playing catch-up because of the holidays and my boss has a bad habit of complaining, which is incredibly annoying to listen to all day, every day. It was perfect timing, then, to take this mini vacation with Erik.

As I said to him later, it was really the perfect anniversary-slash-birthday gift he could've given me. I left it up to him to plan, as I spent the entire holiday season filling my calendar and juggling schedules. When I arrived, I collapsed happily into bed and all of my stress melted away. We ordered room service and went down to the pool - my only two requirements because I had never done the former and the latter was my favorite part of staying in hotels as a kid. When we came back, we showered and got in pajamas at 9pm, cuddled into bed, and watched TV and talked about the future.

The rest of the weekend was really great, too, especially when Erik called out of work and stayed at my house all through Sunday. It was a ton of quality time with him, something I feel like I never get enough of. Usually we're being social with our families or, at his house, with all of his friends. Even though we'll have an afternoon or night alone, it's just not the same as an entire weekend together. It was magical. It was relaxing. It was exactly what I needed.

Going back to work yesterday sucked, but I felt a little more refreshed than normal. My heart still feels like it's going to explode from all the feelings. It was a brief (but obviously not a complete) taste of what it's going to be like to live together and it made me super excited for our plans to move in together at the end of this year.