Monday, January 3, 2011

resolutions for 2011.

I know I said I'd have a recap of my New Year's Eve today, but the pictures still aren't up on Facebook and I want so badly to include a few. But, pictures or not, the post will be up tomorrow.

*

Last year, I didn’t make any resolutions. I think I was pretty intent on 2010 being a little lackluster, but I also didn’t really have any specific goals. That doesn’t mean, however, that I made any less progress. Although there were no set goals, I had one overall theme in mind: figure out my life.

I would say I was pretty successful. There were several things about which I put my foot down – missing college, my relationship, an important friendship, my health, and my anxiety. I let myself heal from the whirlwind of emotions I was feeling from all of those things happening all at once. And now, I’m ready to face this brand new year with confidence and a smile on my face, even though I know it’s going to be tough.

Here are my resolutions for the year, which are general and non-quantifiable as usual because I have a terrible time meeting very specific goals.

Get healthy. Oh, how I say this over and over until I’m blue in the face. You’ve probably read it a million times by now, which means I’ve said it to myself a billion times. This. Needs. To. Happen. No more excuses.

Work on my anxiety. Admitting that my anxiety is a problem that I need to actively deal with was really hard for me to do, and even harder will be the process of actually going through with it. But I will do it.

Live in the moment. Lately it’s come to my attention that I think way too far ahead of myself for my own good. The biggest example has been my brain being all atwitter with the what-ifs surrounding this thing between E and I when, really, I should just be enjoying myself. (You’ll be happy to know I already put this resolution to work and for the love of all things holy, it was amazing to not be fretting about anything other than the moment when I was in it.)

Stay in touch. Sometimes my life and thoughts suck me into a time warp and weeks go by before I realize, wow, I haven’t seen or even been in touch with my closest friends. I know their lives are like that too, but considering I actually have the time, I’m going to make the effort to reach out and keep up with their lives.

Be me and stop worrying what other people think. Plain and simple.

I'm looking forward to all of the opportunities and challenges that lie ahead of me, because it will only mean good things for my life. Bring it on, 2011.