Wednesday, January 13, 2010

what's truly important.

Last night I sat fervently typing away about late-night television and my affinity for a red-haired talk show host. I watched the news for information about the shake-up and was slapped back into reality by the reports from the earthquake in Haiti.

This isn't going to be link-heavy, because if you Google anything related to the catastrophe, you should be able to easily find news reports that contain stories and photos, as well as resources about how you can help. Even my trashy local pop-music radio station is rallying for support.

These are people who didn't have much to begin with. Electricity and water aren't a constant. The buildings there are made of concrete which means when they fell, they fell hard. There is no organized emergency system to deal with all of this. Drudge is reporting that there is a possible death toll of hundreds of thousands. Read that again. Not hundreds. Not thousands. Hundreds of thousands.

I know this blog is small. I know I don't necessarily have a ton of followers. But I sincerely hope that by posting this, I'll encourage my readers to do something if you haven't already. Whether you find a few dollars to donate or simply just pray, please do something. CNN.com is reporting that agencies aren't currently looking for manpower or clothing and supply donations - they just need money. I know we're in hard times, but our hard times cannot compare to the destruction Haiti is facing. The presidential palace has completely collapsed - again, if you Google it you'll find photos. Imagine that happening to our White House. That's what it's like. I know it's just a building, but the impact of that shakes me to the core.

One simple, easy resource I'm hearing about is that if you text 'HAITI' to 90999, $10 will be donated and will be applied directly to your cell phone bill. If you can spare that much, please do so. You can also go here to see a list of agencies accepting donations.