Friday, February 13, 2009

why so much hate?

I've never really understood the huge debacle over Valentine's Day.

Being alone on Valentine's Day can suck, but only if you really let it. Sure, the holiday used to roll around every year, and I would have that moment of being bummed out because I was single. It never lasted. Passing out candy and little cards cheered me right up. Last year, I had a girl's night in with my roommates. It's all about what you decide to do with your time, and your attitude. Nobody's forcing you to feel sad; you have the option to celebrate love for you friends, or for yourself. Or, as I've seen becoming more popular, have an anti-Valentine's Day in the sense that you celebrate being single with other singles.

Another argument is that, well, if you're in a relationship, you should love each other and celebrate it every day, not just on Valentine's Day. Personally, I've always seen the holiday as a no-excuses day where you have the opportunity to remember to slow down, to be romantic and show your love. Some people don't have the means or the time to be romantic in their lives. It doesn't mean they don't love the person they're with. It's like this - Valentine's Day is saying, celebrate love. Obviously (in a healthy relationship), the love is there every day. Valentine's Day is just a day for everyone to stop and really cherish it.

Maybe my opinion is naïve. I think this comes from my very anti-cynical nature. I'm ever the optimist, seeing the better side of things, and sometimes it just bothers me to see countless people getting their panties in a bunch over Valentine's Day.

Any holiday is what you make it, not what society tells you to make it.

No comments: