Tuesday, September 23, 2008

we are just breakable, breakable, breakable girls and boys.

Thank you times infinity (plus one!) to all the people who commented my last two super-vague blog entries.

Basically last week went a little like this - The Boy didn't do as well on the MCATs as he'd have liked (not bad, but not great, either), and therefore fell apart for a few days back there. Much of last week was spent putting him back together and holding him there, including an almost-all-nighter so that I could redirect his frustration over a presentation due Thursday morning that took about six hours.

The breakdown I had myself (the previous entry) was in the wee hours of Friday morning, after a pretty normal Thursday night. I was all, yay, progress! But then I got a barrage of IMs around three proclaiming he was a failure and refusing to see his friends (who are already in med school) on Friday because he was embarrassed. At that point, I was exhausted physically, mentally, emotionally - I couldn't stop crying. I sniffled on the phone with him as I told him over and over that he wasn't stupid, that he was far from it, and reassuring him that seeing his friends would be a really good thing for him. I hung up the phone and just flat-out bawled for a good ten minutes. It was a really good cry - you know, those ones where you've been holding everything back and then BAM. It's all out there.

But many deep breaths, an initially-bumpy-but-overall-successful night visiting friends on Friday, and many hours of sleep later, we're okay. We made it to the other side. Of course, in the wake of last week is me playing catch-up with schoolwork, but I'm managing. Also, of lesser importance, my Google Reader exploded on me and I gave up with trying to get on top of that. I read my faves, took a deep breath before hitting the dreaded "Mark All as Read" button, and had a moment of silence for all the awesome entries that went unread.

Ah well. So is life.

[Title cred: Ingrid Michaelson, Breakable]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you got some sleep and things are looking a bit better now.

Anonymous said...

<3 <3 <3 Ingrid :)

Sending you some good vibes!